This Page

has been moved to new address

You'll Thank Me For This Brow Tip....

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
DALY BEAUTY: You'll Thank Me For This Brow Tip....

Dec 6, 2011

You'll Thank Me For This Brow Tip....

Can't do a brow post without Brooke!

Obviously the Strong Brow is in this year. As my daughter observed, they're always in style. Anytime I catch an photo of me from the 90s with thin brows I shudder. What was I thinking? When someone (often a friend) has plucked their brows into near nothingness, don't you want to stage a brow intervention? Anyways I hope we all know now to back away from the tweezers, and let those babies grow in. Sure, keep a nice shape- there are professionals for that if you are arch-challenged- and tweeze the runaways that stray from the basic brow shape. And, if they are super fair or sparse, get a good shadow or pencil ( I love the Benefit Brow Pencil in Light) and fill them in, lightly, with little hair-like brush strokes. I say lightly to avoid Angry Man (think Bert of Sesame Street) look.

Not good.
There are alternatives- you can dye your brows. I did that at a salon- twice. See Angry Man reference above. My daughters nearly keeled over they were laughing so hard. I went back weeks later after they had grown out and asked for a lighter version. Angry Man again.

My brows circa 1982
My brows circa this month- need a better pic with shape.

I'm not sure where it came from, but for some reason I was struck with inspiration at the drug store, in the hair dye aisle. In front of the, ahem, men's hair dye section. Stop laughing. The Touch of Grey product looked interesting because a) it came in a tiny tube and b) it is sheer and temporary. So I took the plunge and took Medium Brown home and gave it a try. I was a bit over-cautious as Medium Brown was so minimally darker than my natural brow that it hardly showed up. If there were greys though, and I was trying to match a colour, it would be dead on. So I carefully bought Dark Brown and found the perfect colour. 

Soft & natural- strong brow with soft bare make up (Maybelline Spring 2012 collection)

I apply it very lightly, almost painting on top of my brows, with a toothbrush I have deigned my brow brush. It goes on around 5 minutes (or less) before I step in the shower, where I close my eyes as soon as I jump in and rinse it all out. It is the brow colour of my youth. It lasts around 4 weeks, give or take a week. My tube of Touch of Grey barely has a dent in it and I've had it since last March. And I would not be without. Funny, I'll think, I'm looking tired/mousy/washed out and then I realize that my brows are disappearing into my face. A light touch up and I'm back to glowing and rested looking. One neat benefit is if you use a tiny brush, hairs along the outside of the arch that are fair come back with the dye and ta-da you have an arch!


Wide awake & bubbly vs tired & possibly ill.

Oy.
Yes, there is the blonde bleached out brow trend that comes and goes. My opinion? Unless you are Gwyneth Paltrow, and even then its a stretch, the bleached out brow does absolutely nothing for your features. It makes everything else stand out even more- the nose, the crows feet, forehead lines, spots (aka zits). Blech. Do not do. You look weird.

One last shot of our Eyebrow Goddess, Brooke....







Edit: A savvy reader on Twitter pointed out the Touch Of Gray disclaimer- do not use on facial hair. They have a beard dye that comes in a smaller tube, with a smaller brush, and which is a stronger formula for coarser beard hair. I would not use that one, we don't need stronger as our brows are not like beard hair. That said, do a patch test on your arm first to be sure you don't react. Use caution as you would with any product you are using on your face.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At December 6, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! BTW your hair colour is beautiful. Makes me realize I need some highlights soon. Are you naturally that blond? Lisa.

 
At December 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Elisa said...

I love the 1982 picture!

I moved to a new apartment and the bathroom light here is quite flattering -- also I can't see my stray brow hairs in it! (There's no window in the bathroom.) So I just stopped tweezing my brows, pretty much. I'm blonde so for the most part you can't really tell. It's certainly lower maintenance. But pretty soon I'm going to see my reflection in some harsh lighting and flip out, I'm sure.

 
At December 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Anonymous kathleen said...

My brows are quite sparse from what we were doing to them in the '70s. I use 'Smashbox Brow Tech To Go' and a powder. Then I brush on the wax from the Brow Tech wand. It looks quite natural.

 
At December 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Lisa ~ Thanks! No...those are highlights, although I was blonde as a child...I call it "going back to my natural colour" ;)

Elisa ~ I know! It's always a rude awakening to check out, say, one of those magnifying mirrors o_O

Kathleen ~ I should check that out! I did try the Benefit Tinted Brow Gel and liked it, but really wanted a more permanent/semi-permanent solution.

 
At December 7, 2011 at 11:33 PM , Blogger DivaDebbi said...

Your blonde is looking gorgeous Jane!
Your post made me laugh! YEARS before Clairol came out with their root kit, I was using Just For Men for beards to touch up my greys! I had all of my friends and clients using it. I told my contacts at P&G that I was actually the inventor! They kind of agreed!
Love those sneaky 5 minute products they figure out for the men...

xox
Debbi

 
At December 8, 2011 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Scent Hive said...

Love that last pic of Brooke. Gorgeous!!

 
At December 15, 2011 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Debbi ~ I LOVE IT! So ingenious...the true heart of a beauty blogger!

Scent Hive ~ Isn't she just stunning? Love our Brooke.

 
At December 19, 2011 at 6:15 PM , Anonymous DRTVrMoi said...

Touch of Grey has been my dirty little secret for years. Less expensive than having them professionally dyed and I can do it in the privacy of my home. BTW, I use the formula for beards and it works perfectly.

 
At December 30, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

DRTVrMoi ~ Love it! you are right on every point! And thank you for the info re the beard formula! :)

 
At January 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM , Anonymous katie said...

Yes, thank you for this post! I am so happy that I found it via Best Things in Beauty. I have dark brows (blonde hair) but they are somewhat sparse and very blonde at the outer edges. I have been accused by some make-up artists of overplucking - which I would NEVER do (I love, love thick brows; always have). Anyway, never would have occurred to me to dye them and this formula works great! Hooray! I still need a bit of pencil to fill them in sometimes but I LOVE waking up with eyebrows! Hooray! :) (tempted to try the "dark brown" but thinking perhaps I shuld leave well enough alone....?)

 
At January 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM , Anonymous katie said...

oooo! Just re-read this post (again!) and finally noticed that you ended up with the DARK brown! I am going for it! :)

 
At January 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Katie ~ Thank you so much for popping by for a read! I just got back from a holiday in the sun & my eyebrows were bleached by the sun into invisibility! I just did a refresher with Touch Of Gray and BOOM they are back! I swear I look younger with darker brows. Do let me know how yours turn out!

 

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home