This Page

has been moved to new address

Beautiful Tips for Soft, Moisturized Skin

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
DALY BEAUTY: Beautiful Tips for Soft, Moisturized Skin

Jan 14, 2011

Beautiful Tips for Soft, Moisturized Skin


This time of year is brutal for our skin. Dry central heating, with freezing temperatures outside can leave us with rough, dry, itchy skin. Moisturizing has long been an obsession of mine- I’ve been known to hold my daughters down and apply lotion if I thought their skin looked dry.  The knees! The hands! The elbows! Ah those poor girls… I moisturize in the morning, and at night, and pretty much  at any time I can. Like the main rule of real estate is Location, Location, Location, the rule for great skin is Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize.  Inspired by the brilliant Janine Falcon at Beautygeeks I’ve decided to share my favourite products to scrub, polish, and saturate our skin til its plump, dewy and glowy.

First of all, we must exfoliate our skin. Applying moisturizing potions to dry flaky skin is painting over chipped peeling paint without scraping and sanding first.  It’s a waste of product and the skin that needs the nourishment won’t get it. There are two ways to exfoliate, manually, with a granular or “scrub” cosmetic product or brush/loofah/mitt product. This is best done is the shower unless you want to vacuum or sweep up the by products of this process…which is dead skin. Ew.

My favourite exfoliants are the scrubs. These usually contain rough granules that help smooth the skin. I like high and low versions of these products, as long as they get the job done.  For low, I’ve used the basic  St Ives Apricot Scrub. I use the original formula is intended for the face but the granules are nice and fine and work miracles when used head to toe in the shower. I also enjoy the scrubs that heat up. St Ives Fresh Skin Warming Scrub is a facial version that I have used head to toe & find it quite cozy and comforting after a day in the cold. The St Ives Mineral Therapy Body Polish is also quite good but I’ve been equally happy with all of these. Extra attention given to knees and feet and especially any area that gets, ahem, sat on all day. Another exfoliating option is via a vitamin A or alpha hydroxy or chemical exfoliant. I have recently been using Derma E Vitamin A Retinyl Palmitate Wrinkle Treatment Gel. It is for the face, but I didn't know that! It comes in a large bottle for under $15 and I have been using it all over my body at bedtime. It is barely scented with a mild cucumber scent and I love its smoothing effect.

My higher end faves include my latest love, Caudalie Merlot Friction Scrub. It comes in a lovely pot, smells divine and makes my skin smooth as silk. I adore the Caudalie line and their Beauty Elixir is an HG product I adore. The Nuxe Tonific Exfoliation is a kinder, gentler scrub that also smells and feels luxurious but is perfect for a more sensitive skin. The Clinique Sparkle Skin Exfoliator is another one I love. Well, except for the name. Are you naming your products for 6 year old girls Clinique? Anyways, I have been known to use the Clinique 7 Day Scrub on my body as well- it smells amazing and sometimes I prefer the smaller size “scrubbers” that come in the facial formulas.

I have never been a big fan of the cloths or brushes that exfoliate as I tend to like products- the scent, the luxurious feel of a body product just appeals to me more. However after reading Beautygeeks raves for the Dermalogica Buffing Cloth I think I might have to get one. I adore Dermalogica and find their products have integrity and purpose so this cloth sounds perfect!

Kiehls makes an oil wash as part of their Argan line- Superbly Restorative Argan Body Cleansing Oil. This stuff is genius and somehow manages to cleanse and lightly resurface at the same time. Again, I have only tried samples of this but plan to get my hot little hands on a bottle. Soon.



Ok. So now that we have scrubbed, buffed and polished ourselves to a shine, its time to moisturize! I am a big fan of body oils, and I especially love to combine them with lotions and creams for extra oomph. I am almost through a bottle of Weleda Wild Rose Body Oil and while I quite liked it, I am keen to try some others before buying another bottle. The Wild Buckthorn Oil Janine mentioned sounds wonderful, as does the latest Weleda Oil, Pomegranate The Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse has been a long time favourite of mine- it smells like soft sweet honey and just soaks into the skin. Neutrogena Sesame Body Oil is a classic as well. This is perfect for right after the shower and the scent is soft and lovely, as well as nostalgic as I recall using this as a teenager. Has anyone tried the Kiehls Argan Dry Oil? This stuff is magic and while I have only used samples, a bottle of this stuff is on my hit list.


I also adore Monoi Oil- it smells like gardenias and sunshine. I use the Yves Rocher Monoi Oil but have heard it has mineral oil…I have also used and loved The Body Shop Spa Wisdom Monoi Oil which does not list mineral oil anywhere but The Interwebs is crawling with Accusers saying it has mineral oil as well so if anyone knows of a readily available Monoi that is free of mineral oil let me know!

Lotions and creams are a must have in the fight to stay soft and moisturized. My ultimate high end product is Kiehls Crème de Corps- nothing soaks in like this product and when used regularly it does improve the texture of your skin. It has almost no scent which is great for use in the morning as it won’t interfere with my perfume.  My go-to daily moisturizer is Nivea Q10 which I’ve reviewed here. I used Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion forever but stopped recently as the scent became too overpowering for me. I have seen an unscented version on the web but have yet to stumble upon it in real life. If I do, I will buy a case as this is truly the BEST lotion I have ever used, and at $8 a bottle the value is unprecedented.

What are your faves? How do you stay soft, silky and glowy? Share!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Comments:

At January 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Carrie Meredith said...

The Nuxe oil is amazing, I recently tried a sample and plan to buy a bottle. I also like Ligne St. Barth Relaxing Body oil, it has a wonderful blend of quick-absorbing oils plus a bit of camphor for sore muscles. Juara's Candlenut Body Cream is the ultimate- it treats skin with kid gloves and smells like a tropical paradise. I tore through a trial size of La Mer Body Cream, and they're not kidding when they say you don't have to even use it every day to reap all the benefits, and while I couldn't spend that much on body cream, it's sure tempting. One of the best I've ever used. On the cheap, CeraVe body lotion is super hydrating and non-irritating, and Alba's Cocoa Butter hand and body lotion is wonderful also. I've honestly never been one for body scrubs, but am interested in trying a body lotion with AHA, I really prefer chemical exfoliation. I hear Paula's Choice makes a good one. Thanks for your great list!

 
At January 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

Creme de Corps is THE BEST!!! I love it.

Another dry oil (by Yves Rocher) that is really wonderful and I think you'd like it, is called Nighttime Body Oil, part of the Culture Bio line. Smells amazing and the ingredients are super (vanilla, lavender, ylang ylang, jojoba oil, argan oil, sesame oil, petit grain, cocoa seed butter). The whole 'nighttime' part means nothing to me though (duh! post-shower! or anytime!).

 
At January 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Oh these are all so wonderful! I am making notes for my next shopping trip.
Carrie isn't the La Mer line wicked? Oh man that stuff is serious business and really works...one day...I totally forgot to add my chemical exfoliating fave! It is by Derma E and is the Vitamin A Wrinkle Treatment Gel. Cheap & cheerful it comes in a huge bottle, I use it head to toe at bedtime! Less than $15 a bottle. Will edit and add link above.
Kristina I am totally going to check out that line. Adore Yves Rocher!

 
At January 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Blogger lovethescents said...

Loved reading your ideas and mini reviews. I just had a baby (2months ago) and have been neglecting my poor skin. I have Bliss Body Exfoliant but find it a little abrasive and drying. I like Curel unscented 24 hour moisture lotion, but don't find it hydrating enough in the winter. Used to adore a body butter by Origins as I thought it worked so well, but it is a little pricey.

I'll have to take note of those 'cheap thrills' you listed and go shopping!

Many thanks :-)

 
At January 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM , Blogger lovethescents said...

Oh! I forgot to mention a pre-bedtime favorite: l'Occitane Cleansing and Soothing Shower Oil. It hydrates so well, although I also use a moisturizer after cuz I like my showers hot. Only problem is that it's lightly scented and interferes with my fragrance...hence, using it before bed.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

lovethescents- Congratulations on your new little angel! Janine @ BeautyGeeks recommended a Burt's Bees after shower oil that I am keen to try as well! For a more gentle exfoliant I would recommend the Derma E Gel. It is so smoothing & lovely at bedtime. That is my fave recent beauty find!

I really must investigate the L'Occitane line more! I know The Non Blonde is a big fan of the Shea Butter hair line...I can only imagine the body products are dvine! A

 
At January 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM , Blogger Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said...

Thanks for all the great suggestions! My skin is always a mess all winter long (thank goodness I live in Georgia!) You've got me all excited about several new products!

BTW, this is the first time I've visited your blog and I'm loving it!

Shannon
Lipstick Musings

 
At January 15, 2011 at 12:17 AM , Anonymous Janine said...

Oh, some lovely stuff mentioned here, Jane!

St. Ives Warming Scrub in the shower on a chilly morning -- genius. Olay used to make a warming foot scrub (they might have been first to mass with that) I adored. I may still have some archived away! P&G moved the tech over to Gillette; the men's warming facial scrub is finding itself a fan base.

The Caudalie Merlot scrub sounds delicious; must go give that a sniff.

I can't do the Nuxe oil -- the scent isn't right for me. But I have tried the Kiehl's Argan Dry Oil and liked it, although I'm pretty sure I abandoned it for a scent I liked better, or went back to the Dr. Hauschka Rose Body Oil I used to use all the time (oh my).

Tip to lovethescents: a body oil layered under a slightly inefficient body lotion gives better supple-skin results and prevents the user from feeling like she's wasted the body lotion by not using it :-)

The L'Occitane Almond shower oil is great, although I can only take so much of the scent. I did a post on it once after I sampled some at a friend's house when I stayed for a few days. Then I put it in all my winter-skin stories that year! 2008, I think. They have a Grape Shower Oil I quite liked for warmer weather; it's a bit lighter than the Almond, and smells very pretty.

The Yves Rocher Culture Bio Nighttime Oil IS quite nice. I didn't mind the scent, but felt a friend would like it better so I gifted it.

Kiehls Creme de Corps is amazing. I have a brother with very dry skin; he likes it too because it works so well and isn't girly.

 
At January 15, 2011 at 12:21 AM , Anonymous Janine said...

Oh, forgot to mention -- Iove that Dermalogica scrubby because it allows me to get a good buffing with my cleanser when I don't have time for the scrub step.

 
At January 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM , Blogger lovethescents said...

Thank you so much for the tips! Now I absolutely MUST get an oil to mix with my inefficient moisturizer. The Burt's Bees sounds lovely but I'm such a perfume fanatic, I don't like scented products. Does anyone know if the Burt's scent lingers??

Also, do I apply the Derma E Gel before a moisturizer or instead of?

Thanks for all your help!

 
At January 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM , Anonymous Ellen said...

I make my own unscented body cleanser/scrub with sugar/grapeseed oil/unscented liquid non soap body cleaner...CHEAP & works like a dream.
Try c.Booth Tahitian Monoi Dry Oil Spray...(on line I beleive, on Drugstore.com is the entire c. Booth product line..wonderful products & inexpensive!)...no mineral oil & leaves no oily residue on skin or clothes & the scent is heaven!

 
At January 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use the Bobbi Brown Beach scrub (I have several from when I worked for them, so I am using up what I have. But I do really like it) and have also used the St Ives, but ever since they revamped their formula I cannot stand the scent. I also use pure coconut oil in the shower (watch your step!) and i love the light coconut scent. Then I follow with the Eucerin Fast absorbing.

 
At January 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Oh I LOVE the BB Beach Scrub! That scent is just gorgeous...I am a shameless Bobbi Brown fangirl for sure. I have also used the Eucerin, in the Calming formula and Eucerin Aquaphor is one of the best cuticle and chapped lips healer out there!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Ellen- thank you for the link for the Monoi Spray! It sounds wonderful and I will try for sure!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Lovethescents- I use the Derma E as a moisturizer on it's own at bedtime but if I use it in the morning I put a richer cream on top once it's dry. It is very light. I have not tried the Burt's Bees but am tempted to now!

 
At January 21, 2011 at 12:55 AM , Anonymous Ellen said...

You're so welcome!....let me know how you like the Monoi spray!

 
At March 4, 2011 at 1:09 AM , Anonymous Mary said...

Hey Jane!
I saw Unscented Palmer's Body Cream at the new Shoppers on Montreal Rd. in Ottawa! Their lip balm is great too!

 
At March 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Mary! Awesome....I think I will make a little road trip out there this weekend! Thank you xo

 
At August 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great choices! My current favorite Argan Oil product is Russell Organics Argan Oil, http://www.russellorganics.com/russell_organics_argan_oil.html and I am so happy with it. Great quality Argan Oil at a great price.

 
At December 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM , Anonymous Cathy of Eyelash Growth Products said...

Great tips! Thanks for shering this. I am looking forward for more beauty tips. ♥♥♥

 

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home